Jojoba oil is known for its excellent moisturizing benefits. It draws moisture into your skin and lock it in without giving you that sticky feeling. It also promotes the production of your skin’s acid mantle, balancing its pH levels that protect it from viruses, fungi, and bacteria.
Jojoba oil is an excellent choice not only for your cosmetic products, but also for your health and beauty items. It has high stability and viscosity so it will not go rancid easily, even if stored for weeks.
What is Jojoba Oil?
Jojoba oil comes the seeds of a perennial woody shrub called Simmodsia chinensis. It is native to the southern California, Arizona, and Mexico.
Jojoba was first used by the Native Americans as a remedy for wounds and sores. In the 1970s, the cosmetics industry saw many uses of jojoba oil in skincare, makeup, and hair care products. The seeds contain a gold-coloured liquid wax ester, which is beneficial for you as it resembles the natural sebum of your skin. It has an antifoam agent that can be used as a treatment for skin disorders. It also does not contain cholesterol so you can include it in your low-calorie diet.
Natural Vitamins in Jojoba Oil
Many people swear by jojoba oil as a skin moisturiser. In fact, several studies support the use of 100% pure jojoba oil as a treatment for dry skin, acne, among other skin conditions. And it’s primarily because of these vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B
- Essential minerals, such as zinc and copper
Jojoba oil is rich in Vitamins E and B, both of which are great for moisturising skin and hair, giving you that much-needed skin glow and hair shine. They may also prove to be useful in healing sunburn (i.e., flaky skin and dehydration), reducing acne scars, minimising the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and fighting oxidative stress caused by exposure to free radicals.
Jojoba Oil Benefits for Skin and Health
Aside from being an effective moisturizer, jojoba oil is also:
- Non-comedogenic and hypoallergenic. Jojoba oil has same properties as the oil that your body produces, so it is easily absorbed into the skin and doesn’t leave a greasy feeling.
- Antibacterial. Jojoba oil contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that can kill certain types of bacterial that can cause candida overgrowth, salmonella infection, or E. coli infection.
- Anti-ageing. Jojoba oil has antioxidant properties that may help boost collagen production. Collagen is a protein that can reduce wrinkles, keep your joints strong, and increase skin hydration. However, it decreases as you age so you need to help your body make sure that it produces enough collagen to slow down the effects of ageing, and keep your bones and connective tissues healthy overall.
Uses of Jojoba Oil
Jojoba has several uses, which can include but are not limited to:
- Lip balm. Boost the moisturising effects of your homemade lip balms with jojoba oil.
- Oil balancer. Fight oily skin using jojoba oil, which may help regulate sebum production, thereby keeping your skin hydrated without producing excess oil.
- Skin conditioner. As a great moisturiser, jojoba oil may provide relief for people with eczema and psoriasis. It may also help reduce inflammation caused by these skin diseases.
- Makeup remover. Since jojoba oil is non-comedogenic, it makes an excellent makeup remover without drying out your skin.
Popular Jojoba Oil Products
Make the most of jojoba oil health benefits by buying cold-pressed products that are made with 100% pure and organic ingredients.
- Magic 8 by Kova. Kova’s Magic 8 facial serum contains 100% organic jojoba oil amidst seven other oils that is formulated for all skin types. It is known to cleanse and hydrate the skin, protect against free radicals, balance skin tone, reduce redness, repair damaged skin, and reduce the appearance of scars and signs of aging.
- Jojoba Oil by Leven Rose. This product is made in the US and contains pure and cold-pressed jojoba oil. It helps moisturise the hair, skin, and nails to prevent irritation and dryness.
- Wild Products Jojoba Oil. Made up of 100% pure cold-pressed jojoba oil, this product is suitable for dry and damaged hair. It can be used as a leave-on conditioner to restore shine while reducing tangles, keeping your hair manageable all day long.